Last week I was craving a delicious filet, so I grabbed a couple small medallions from the local organic butcher. Once seared in a roasted garlic sauce, served along with asparagus and home made cauliflower mash, the results did not disappoint! The steak was so tender and flavorful, and the cauliflower was easy to whip up, and BOMB! It tasted just like mashed potatoes and was every bit as satisfying. This cauliflower mash was indeed, the best damn cauliflower mash I had ever had!
Try it for yourself, cheers!
The recipe for the Best Damn Cauliflower Mash is simple:
- 2 sm/med size heads cauliflower
- 2 wedges Laughing Cow creamy swiss, light
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives
- Johnny’s parmesan garlic, and Molly McButter seasonings, to taste
Start by trimming the stem and leaves from the cauliflower, and cutting it into large pieces. Place florets into a large pan with 3 inches of water, cover and bring to a boil. Steam with the lid on approx 12 mins, or until florets become tender.
Once cooked, transfer cauliflower to the blender or food processor. Add cheese, chives, and seasonings. Blend until smooth. You may have to transfer the cauliflower in batches, depending on the size of your blender. I found that my VitaMix fits everything for this recipe in one batch!
Serve warm, or cover and keep in the refrigerator for a late night snack! 🙂
This recipe makes 4 servings. *These macros will vary slightly depending on the size of your cauliflower.
Welcome to Week 2 of our Black Book #2 Challenge! This week, we have 2 rest days, 2 focus/sculpting workouts, and 2 short Interval workouts – plus 1 day of cardio. Are you ready?!
Let’s get to it. 🙂
- DAY 1: Thighs To The Sky – This workout is designed to sculpt lean strong legs and glutes, with a sprinkling of core and shoulder training. You will need some dumbells, a sandbag or a kettlebell. If you do not have access to weights, use something heavy from around your house or yard! Squeeze through the glutes, press through the heels, keep your back straight, and engage your core!
- DAY 2: 10 Minute Target: Shoulders – This workout is a short approach to training your shoulders, back and core, while getting your heart rate up as well. Today we are doing TWO rounds of this circuit – for a 20 minute session in total. Use weights that are moderately challenging for you, as we are going for a high level of reps within each interval.
- DAY 3: REST DAY – Use this day to nourish yourself with healthy foods, lots of water, and get enough sleep so you are well rested for tomorrow!
- DAY 4: CARDIO – Today’s task is to complete 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. The object here is to get your heart rate up and keep it up for 30 minutes. Get it! Try setting an interval timer to take walking, and every minute, sprint for 15 seconds. Mix it up.
- DAY 5: 20 Minute All Over Fat Blast – Today’s workout is an interval style, full body sculpting workout that is designed to burn fat at an accelerated rate. Get some weight in there and really challenge yourself to push at your MAX effort for each interval. If you do not have access to a kettlebell, you may substitute a dumbell. You may also substitute burpees for the kettlebell swings.
- DAY 6: REST DAY – Today is your day to relax, stretch, hydrate and nourish yourself!
- DAY 7: 10 Minute Full Body HIIT – Today’s workout takes only TEN minutes, but is definitely not for weenies… It will make you sweat!! Push hard for each interval, and go for maximum reps. If you are struggling with the elevated reptiles, leave out the push up and just bring your knees to your elbows, alternating right to left. Smile, you’re having fun! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Today’s workout is going to challenge mainly the core muscles (abs, obliques, stabilizers, and even low back.) I’ve also sprinkled in a little bit of glute work. 🙂 Working muscles in the lower body substantially improves metabolism, burns more fat, and coincidentally, is a great way to also train your ABS.
This workout is meant to be repeated 2-5 times depending on your ability level. Enjoy!
- Knee Cross Plank – From low plank, bring right knee underneath body toward left armpit. Return to low plank and repeat on other side – left knee to right armpit. Keep core engaged and body in straight line. Left and Right together equals ONE rep. (20 reps)
- Plie Squat (weight) – Step feet wide apart and toes slightly outward. Hold a dumbel up near your face (this position puts more emphasis on the abs.) Reaching your butt backwards, squat down til thighs are parallel with ground. Return to standing position while squeezing through the glutes. Keep gaze upward and core engaged. (20 reps)
- Oblique Lift and Kick – Get into high side plank with left hand beneath the shoulders, body in a straight line with hips off the ground, and right hand placed behind head. Lift extended right leg into the air and back, then kick it forward, keeping leg extended and body in a strong, straight line. Keep your balance! Each lift and kick together equal ONE rep. These are tough! (20 reps each side)
- Split Squat – Hold a dumbell (go heavy!) up near your face. Using a chair or bench, step right foot forward and place left foot on bench behind you. Lunge down until thigh is parallel with the ground, knee not reaching past the toes, and return to standing position. Push through the heel to place major emphasis on glutes. The balance of this exercise is a great challenge for stabilizing muscles. (10 reps each side)
- Ball Pass – Lay on back with low back pressed against floor. Extend arms back and hold a stability ball or medicine ball between hands. Lift the ball and your feet together and exchange the ball from hands to feet. Extend arms back and lower ball, but don’t let it touch the ground! Now lift ball and hands and exchange back to the hands and back down (but not touching the ground.) Each exchange equals ONE rep. Keep the low back on the ground throughout the movement and squeeze through the abs with each exchange. (20 reps)
- Exploding Squat Jump – With legs together, push glutes backward, and reach down to touch the ground next to toes (keeping back straight, knees behind the toes, and gaze outward.) Jump up while bringing your arms above your head and clapping them together, and jumping each leg outward. The movement looks like making a snow angel! Land with legs back close together and crouch back down to touch the ground, but keep back straight, gaze outward, and knees behind the toes. Repeat jump. (20 reps)
- Weighted Cross Abs – Lay on your back and hold a light weight in right hand, with arm slightly extended behind head. Reach right hand up while reaching left leg, and touch left foot. Return to lying position and repeat. Same movement for left side. Keep core engaged and don’t forget to breathe. (20 each side)
Today’s workout is a full body circuit composed of 9 dynamic exercises. Each exercises is a combination move designed to maximize the muscles targeted. Move quickly through each exercise, but be mindful of your form. Have fun with it, and don’t forget to time yourself, so you have a mark to beat next go around.
INCREDIBLE HULK WORKOUT
- 1 Jump Forward/2 Back – 30 sets
- Cursty Lunge Combo – 15 sets
- Burpee Deadlift/Plank Fly Combo – 15 sets
- 1/2 Burpee Jump Tuck/Side Jump Combo – 20 sets
- Pistol Squat/Warrior 3 Tuck Combo – 20 sets
- Plank Jack/Cross Knee Combo – 50 sets
- Ball Pike/Knee Tuck/Push Up Combo – 20 sets
- Burpee Deadlift/Plank Fly Combo – 15 sets
- 1 Jump Forward/2 Back – 30 sets
Today’s workout is a high intensity approach to a full body sculpting workout. The format is AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible.)
You will be completing 3 different exercises as fast as you can using the proper form, and repeating the entire circuit as many times as you can within the 20 minute time period. This workout is extremely effective in keeping your heart rate up, burning fat, and building muscle simultaneously. Some days are busy, and having a short yet extremely effective routine can really come in handy. You don’t need to spend hours on your workout to get a good one in. 😉
Move fast, but pay attention to your form! I used a 25 lb kettlebell for this workout.
20 MINUTE QUICK SCULPT
Repeat this circuit as many times as you possibly can within 20 minutes.
1. 1 ARM KB SWING – 10 EACH SIDE
2. KB SQUAT JACK WITH ROW – 20
3. PUSH UP TOE TOUCH – 10
Today’s interval workout is a combination of 10 body-weight only exercises that will strengthen and define your core, combined with intermittent cardio movements designed to get your heart rate up and torch fat at an accelerated rate. I switched up the format a bit, alternating 1 minute of work, followed immediately by 30 seconds of cardio in between. There is no time for rest in this short, intense workout, but you will get your bikini body and gain strength in under 20 minutes! What’s not to love. ❤
Push at your max effort for each interval, and enjoy!
ROCK HARD ABS
Set your interval timer for 10 rounds, 1 minute work, 30 seconds cardio
Move as quickly as you can between intervals taking little to no rest.
HERE is a pre-set timer!
- BUY IN: 1/2 BURPEE JUMP TUCK – 30
- PLANK JACKS —Burpees
- V-UPS —Frogger
- PUSH UP(1)/MT. CLIMBERS(4) —Burpees
- LEG CIRCLES —Frogger
- SUPERMANS —Burpees
- T-ABS —Frogger
- SIDE CRUNCH (R) —Burpees
- SIDE CRUNCH (L) —Frogger
- RUSSIAN TWIST —Burpees
- BICYCLE —Frogger
Today’s workout will challenge you to complete 11 dynamic core shaping, strength building exercises that will work your abs, shoulders, triceps, back, obliques, hamstrings, and quads. Complete the whole circuit for time, and try not to take long breaks. If you are having trouble with the pistol squats, just grab a chair or a bench and sit onto that instead of going all the way to the ground. If you need to bring the push ups to your knees, do it! Grab some soup cans, rocks, bricks, a bag of books, or whatever you can find to get creative if you do not own any weights. Most importantly, have fun. 🙂
CAUSE A FRENZY!
- ROMANIAN DEADLIFT – 15
- WEIGHTED CROSS ABS – 25 EA SIDE
- SHOULDER TAP PUSH UP – 20
- PISTOL TO WARRIOR 3 – 30 (ALT)
- PENDULUM HOPS – 100
- TRICEP DIPS – 50
- PLANK PULL BURPEE – 10
- AROUND THE WORLDS – 20
- PUSH UP(3)/BENT ROW(5) COMBO – 5 SETS
- ROMANIAN DEADLIFT – 15
- OBLIQUE HIP LIFT – 25 EA SIDE