Even though summer is still lingering around these parts, the nights are becoming cooler, and I’ve definitely been feeling a bit of fall in the air! I decided to give in to the impending cool weather, and break out my crock pot for some good old fashioned, hearty, healthy chili. This stuff is packed with protein, healthy carbs, and tons of flavor. Enjoy with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt, your favorite cheese, or sliced avocado.
CHICKEN, TURKEY, & BLACK BEAN CHILI
- 1 20 oz package lean ground chicken
- 1 20 oz package extra lean ground turkey
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet red onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 can low sodium kidney beans, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tobasco sauce (or favorite hot sauce)
- cumin, cayenne, onion powder, cinnamon, italian seasoning & sea salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs of your choice (I used oregano, cilantro, and sage)
Plug in your crockpot and set to low. Using a large non stick skillet, sautee mushrooms, onions and bell peppers over medium heat until soft and fragrant. You won’t need to add oil, since the mushrooms are high in water content. Remove mixture from heat, and add to your crockpot. Using the same skillet, add ground turkey, chicken and minced garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is lightly browned. Add mixture to crock pot. Add rinsed beans, chopped herbs, tomatoes with the liquid from the can, and all seasoning to crockpot and mix well. Close the lid to the crockpot and leave cooking on low for 4 hours. Add more seasoning if desired and serve warm with your favorite healthy garnish! I like to add avocado and nonfat greek yogurt to mine.
Serving size 2 cups.